Total Pageviews

Wednesday 15 February 2012

RIP Whitney Houston

Sad news for me was that Whitney Houston passed away, another amazing talent who got addicted to the life and couldn’t beat it.  Much like the death of Michael Jackson it looks like prescription medicines were the cause for her untimely death. 

Born a Star...

Lived like a Star...

Passed away a Star...

Whitney Houston was the voice, the original voice may I add, she was there before Mariah, before Leona before all the big voices.  She was known so well for her song 'I will always love you' in which she showed off that amazing voice she had.  I was born in the 80's so the music from the 90's was the soundtrack to my childhood and she was one of the biggest voices in that era.  I have always loved soulful, big urban voices and Whitney was and probably will always be the biggest voice in this genre.  As much as I loved Hip Hop as a child/ teenager I loved R'n'B, sometimes my friends made fun of me but I was the kid with all the music from the urban scene, it’s what I spent all my money on.  I had so many cassettes and later CD's and would listen to the top 40 on the radio and record all the songs on tapes from the radio. 

Whitney’s music when I was younger was something I loved she was a modern take on all the soul music which I was also was addicted to.  I remember 'The Bodyguard' and the soundtrack to that film was amazing and in high school all the girls would be singing 'I will always love you' to their boyfriends.  Then there was the film 'Waiting to Exhale' which had all the women on there independent woman mode.  They would be quoting lines from it at school like they were grown and independent, well that was the girls who had heard of the film.  It went on to define a generation of independent women who were trying to take over the 90's all gassed up on Whitney 'I know it’s not right but it’s ok'.  But I have to say for our generation it was the 'my love is your love' album and it was played by everyone.  She had some amazing tracks on this album including 'My love is your love' and looked beautiful in all her videos.

We knew all her songs, we visited heartbreak hotel, we wanted someone to dance with us, experienced the greatest love of all, knew it wasn’t right but it was ok, told someone that my love is your love and your love is my love, saw Whitney become every woman, we had nothing, learned from the best, exhaled, all at once, saw the queen on the night and will always love Whitney Houston.

Rest in Peace you star...

Heartbreak hotel may not have been Whitneys biggest song but it was one of my fav's, have a listen, two other amazing singers Kelly Price and Faith Evans with Whitney make this song great.


I will always love you
If I

One Moment in time

RIP


No comments:

Post a Comment