Total Pageviews

Thursday 22 September 2011

Sad State of Affairs

Today I am a blogger who feels kind of useless...

Yesterday night I fell asleep after watching the Troy Davis case on the news (which may I say was very poorly reported and not given the time it deserved in my opinion).  As I turned the TV off and stopped tweeting, the news seemed promising that there was a halt on the proceedings and they were deliberating on what action was to be taken.  But then as I woke up this morning, I checked my twitter immediately and read #riptroydavis.  This news was so upsetting and I was so shocked that the US Judicial system would allow for an execution to take place when there was so much doubt around the case.  This man had been incarcerated for over 20 years and now was killed by the law for a crime which there was reasonable doubt that he actually committed. 

The president of the country did not intervene with this as he was too busy being a policeman for the rest of the world when he needs to check the state of affairs in house.  This is the same country which is quick to jump into other countries over the most trivial matters but felt it was inappropriate to intervene in a matter in house.  This all does not sit right with me, because the person who actually killed the policeman could still be free and Troy Davis has now been put to death.  Even if they open up the case again now what justice will the family of Troy Davis receive a big 'sorry we made a mistake’?  I AM TROY DAVIS - in other words he could have been any of us, proven ‘guilty’ and then never really given the chance to prove his innocence when certain witnesses withdrew and cracks appeared in the case.  This all must have been brought to light in one of his appeal cases so why was it not looked at?

I drew comparisons with the film ‘A Time to Kill’, but that was holly wood it had a happy ending.  The line ‘can a black man receive a fair trial’ echoed in my mind.  Have America's views on justice really changed, has having a Black president really changed anything, are they still living in the olden days...

I am a member of amnesty international and they do so much good work highlighting cases like this and I wish on this instance they had received justice.  I wish on this instance all the hard work they put in would have been highlighted and rewarded.

But where the rich and powerful rule with their own agenda the poor must suffer...

RIP Troy Davis...

No comments:

Post a Comment